Make a Savoury Turkey Stock in the Instant Pot x 2
This fast and savoury turkey stock is robust with flavour thanks to the Instant Pot! Did I tell you that I LOVE my Instant Pot?! (Instant Pot didn’t pay me to say that nor do I receive compensation in any way. The opinions are exclusively mine on this amazing kitchen tool. Sometimes I even think it’s magic!)
While the holidays are just past the horizon, some may still have some turkey frozen.
I’d made a turkey stock the day after Christmas and after one run, it looked like there was enough goodness to run it again with more water, fresh herbs and salt. It worked and worked well. While the second run wasn’t as good as the first, it was still great! Broth/stock is always wonderful to have on hand for soups or just to drink especially when you need that electrolyte boost when you’re on keto. Each batch made just over 3 liters.
For this stock, I didn’t anticipate to blog about this but after discovering that a second run was a great success here it is! My apologizes for the absence of photos from the first run.
I didn’t think of taking photos of the first run but above is what the broth looked like after the second run. A little lighter but there’s decent colour.
Here’s a closer look at all the goodness after the second run. (it was PACKED at the beginning of the first run through)
I thought to compare the two batches side by side. I tried to get the lighting even but you can tell that the batch on the left is a little darker than on the right. There’s a slight difference but not a lot. Taste wise, the first run batch was amazing, bursting with rich flavour! The second batch while not as spectacular, it was still good. (The second batch reminds me of my stock before I got the Instant Pot). I had my brother taste the second batch first without telling him. He liked it and thought it was quite tasty. Then he tried the first batch and yup, he found that amazing. I suggest if you don’t like things going to waste, try a second batch.
- 1 Turkey Carcass + bones from legs, 1 wing were included (the carcass was from a 7.385 kg size turkey)
- 1 Turkey Neck (uncooked from the giblets bag)
- 2 carrots with skin (cut into 3)
- 3 celery stalks with leaves (cut into 3)
- 1 onion with skin on (cut in half)
- 1/2 head of garlic with skin on
- 1 tbs Salt x 2
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme x 2
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary x2
- 2 fresh sage branches x2
- Add everything into the Instant Pot insert (except the 2nd set of salt, thyme, rosemary & sage).
- Fill the insert with fresh cold water up to the MAX fill line.
- Set the Vent to Seal.
- Set MANUAL for 75 minutes.
- Once finished let the pressure release naturally.
- Pull out the insert, place on a hot pad and carefully ladle stock through a strainer leaving the solids in the insert.
- Once finished, add in the remaining herbs and salt.
- Fill the insert back up to the MAX fill line with fresh cold water.
- Then repeat from step 3 for second run.